Paranormal

Announcing Suvudu Cage Match 2014: Page vs Screen!

It’s time, friends. March has arrived, and with it, that most anticipated of of events: Suvudu Cage Match 2014, or, March Madness for those of us who’d rather debate the finer points of extended universe canon than basketball strategies. (Not to mention that, you know, fights to the death are pretty cool too.)

This year we’ve selected sixteen characters who’ve appeared both on page and on screen – page characters will be facing off down one side of the bracket and screen characters down the other, with our final match pitting page versus screen against each other a battle to decide ONCE AND FOR ALL which is the superior medium. But who will be the chosen character from each side? That’s where you come in.

Come one, come all – we’ve got your bracket announcement right here:

And here’s your full bracket for all your printable needs.

The first round kicks off March 10th, 2014 – a week from today – and voting is open through noon on Friday, March 14th. Mark your calendars (and keep an eye out for our new Minecraft video recaps).

SUVUDU CAGE MATCH 2014: PAGE VS SCREEN: First Round Matches

Page:

• Leia Organa, Star Wars (1) vs Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (16)
  • Beorn, The Hobbit (2) vs Yvaine, Stardust (15)
  • Dust Witch, Something Wicked This Way Comes (3) vs Robert Neville, I Am Legend (14)
  • Hal 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey (4) vs Trillian Astra, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (13)
  • Arya Stark, A Song of Ice and Fire (5) vs Rick Deckard, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (12)
  • Carrie White, Carrie (6) vs Sookie Stackhouse, The Southern Vampire Mysteries (11)
  • Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games (7) vs Eowyn, The Lord of the Rings (10)
  • Sonmi-451, Cloud Atlas (8) vs John Anderton, The Minority Report (9)

Screen:

• Hal 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1) vs Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen(16)
  • Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games (2) vs Trillian Astra, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (15)
  • Beorn, The Hobbit (3) vs Rick Deckard, Blade Runner (14)
  • Eowyn, The Lord of the Rings (4) vs Yvaine, Stardust (13)
  • Dust Witch, Something Wicked This Way Comes (5) vs Arya Stark, Game of Thrones (12)
  • John Anderton, Minority Report (6) vs Sookie Stackhouse, True Blood (11)
  • Leia Organa, Star Wars (7) vs Carrie White, Carrie (10)
  • Robert Neville, I Am Legend (8) vs Sonmi-451, Cloud Atlas (9)

This year we’ve got characters from George R.R. Martin, Stephen King, Philip K. Dick, J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, and more. Even better, keep your eyes peeled for posts from Pierce Brown, Michael Hughes, Mark Onspaugh, Daniel O’Brien, Cleve Lamison, Scott Sigler, Jason M. Hough, Jen Heddle, and more.

Go forth and nerd.

Daniel O’Brien
Michael Hughes
Cleve Lamison
Mark Onspaugh
Mark Onspaugh
Scott Sigler
Pierce Brown
Victoria McNally
Jason M Hough
Jen Heddle via Joe Scalora

19 Responses to “Announcing Suvudu Cage Match 2014: Page vs Screen!”

1. Archon says:

Woot! So it begins…

2. Archon says:

Interesting tourney concept… one can only hope for the finals to be the same character (just to see the debate on that one)… Some of these are going to be doozys too. Leah vs. Carrie? Can Carrie’s TK block a blaster shot or not? That one question (which is nearly unanswerable) auto determines which one of those two wipes the floor with the other one…

3. Archon says:

Not lost in the excitement is the fact that this style of tourney allows for some big-name matchups without allowing for WoT or MBotF… I’m sure we’ll hear some fedback about that :)

4. Rose says:

5. Jlingo says:

Very interesting. It is different from what I thought it was going to be but different is good sometimes. It has some characters I like too and some I don’t remember a lot about. I am looking forward to it.

6. KaapstadMK says:

I’m not quite sure how to take the whole “same 16 on each side” thing

7. Tye says:

Well… This is going to be interesting. I would have liked to see a bit more variety, but this is still going to be fun.

8. Metacognition says:

Good to see everyone again for yet another awesome looking year!

But in all actuality, we all know how this ends. No matter who makes it to the winner’s circle, the books are almost always superior to the movies! ;)

Oh, and if anyone actually votes for the abomination that was the movie version of I Am Legend, I will hunt you down and shove a stake through your heart, like the REAL Robert Neville would do! :P

9. Archon says:

I’m assuming the seeds in each bracket were arbitrary again? Can’t really see anyone who should rank lower than Trillian or Sonmi in a cage match…

10. OH goodness this sounds like so much fun!!

11. theAKpal says:

Another year of meh. It’s like they’re trying to kill traffic to the site and the whole cage match concept. They obviously aren’t making a serious effort at running it. Maybe it’s time for someone else to take over the event’s reins.

12. Archon says:

Sounds like somebody’s favorite series wasn’t included this year… hate, hate, hate… hate, hate, hate…

13. Blend says:

Hmmm, the choices for this year’s Cage Match aren’t that appealing to me. In previous years, characters from fiction that is relevant to today were more prevalent. I see what you’ve done by trying to choose only characters that were both in written and TV format, but I was looking forward to this year’s cage match to see characters like Kaladin and/or Szeth from Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive books, or Harry Dresden as the Winter Knight from Jim Butcher’s Dresden files. And I mean, Arya Stark? Of all the characters you could choose from Song of Ice and Fire, you chose Arya Stark? *yawn*

14. Brian Marshall says:

I agree with you Blend… last year was boring and this year isn’t much better. I would be ok with a cage match with people that last in the first round of year 1 and 2 :)

15. Archon says:

Relevant to today? ASoIaF is still being played out in book and screen…True Blood, Star Wars, Hunger Games, and The Hobbit are all series that are still being played out in the screen versions… Cloud Atlas and the Carrie remake are each less than 2 years old. Hitchhiker’s guide, Minority Report, and I am Legend are all less than a decade on screen… I think you’ll find that if you look back at the previous line-ups OBJECTIVELY, you’ll see that they all had their share of old and new entrants as well… Just because a cage match doesn’t include your favorite characters or ones that you are intimately familiar with doesn’t mean it won’t be any good… I think they should have a cage match with just people from Star Wars and Malazan Book of the Fallen… Does that mean that any cage match line-up they put up without those people involved is “unappealing” or “boring”? I would have to think that, if I felt that way, perhaps I’m not as much of a fan of the genre as I thought I was…

16. Abyss says:

Different concept this year.
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out, both in the brackets and in the comments/vote #s.

17. sfrules says:

Thank you for emailing the announcement the day AFTER the first round was over!

18. Archon says:

The Facebook announcement you guys posted is annoying me… everybody wants to comment on the tourney without actually reading the aspects of the tourney… every other post on there is a debate over “which version” of each character is in the tourney, or makes horribly innacurate assumptions about which version of each character is in the tourney.

19. Archon says:

Anyone figure out what the issue is with the website not updating normally? I see on the main page that there are new comments on several threads, but when I click to view them, not only do those comment not show up, but very few of the previous comments (if any) show up either… this is annoying.