Suvudu

A Glimpse of Darkness – Chapter 1 – Lara Adrian

glimpse_suvuduhomefeature

A Glimpse of Darkness is Random House Publishing Group’s first fan-driven, multi-authored, chain story, where readers have the chance to decide the outcome of a wholly original paranormal story by Lara Adrian, Harry Connolly, Kelly Meding, Stacia Kane, and Lucy A. Snyder.  The first chapter is below:

_______________________________________________________________

A Glimpse of Darkness

Chapter 1

by Lara Adrian

By the time Munira bint Azhar stepped out of her street-level apartment that Monday morning, she had two good reasons to turn around and crawl right back into bed. The migraine jackhammering behind her eyelids had her feeling like one of the undead, but it was the near collision with a rickshaw full of tourists on their way to one of Port Nightfall’s many casinos that had really put the icing on her can-this-day-be-over-already morning.

It had also cost her a perfectly good cup of coffee, not to mention her favorite mug. She glared down at the shattered green zombie face and the cheap ceramic shards that used to proclaim Great Minds Taste Alike.

“Bloody tourists,” she grumbled, as she swept the broken pieces into the gutter grate at the curb. “Can’t live with ‘em, can’t pack ‘em up and send ‘em Below.”

_______________________________________________________________

Interested in finding out where this goes? Check out A Glimpse of Darkness in eBook on December 6, 2010!

_______________________________________________________________

Lara Adrian is the internationally best-selling author of the Midnight Breed vampire romance series. Lara’s books have been translated into 15 languages since the series debut in 2007. Her October 2010 release from Dell, Taken By Midnight, has been on the New York Times bestseller list for three weeks straight (peaking at #5) and is on sale now. Check out an excerpt here.

17 Responses to “A Glimpse of Darkness – Chapter 1 – Lara Adrian”

1. christine says:

this is great! i can’t wait to read more.

2. What a fantastic idea!! Whoohoo!

3. Olivia says:

Absolutely love the first chapter cannot wait for more……

4. Lara says:

Hi, all!

Thanks for the nice feedback on my opening scene — and for taking the time to vote on where GLIMPSE will go from here. Based on the results so far, it appears that a slim but growing majority of you are eager for bloodshed and mayhem in the undead dark Below.

Personally, I’m torn on which way the action should go, let alone how to write it so that Munira survives the next chapter. But guess what? Not my problem! That’ll be brilliant Harry Connolly’s job, since he’s up next. :)

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the adventure!

Lara

5. Laura Lara says:

That was a great start….. It left me wanting to read more! I was torn between which way to vote, both options were good.

6. Marilyn Adam says:

I enjoyed the storyline and voting is an interesting idea – looking forward to reading more!

7. meggerfly says:

love the idea of reader paticipation!

8. Ashaylin says:

Why let the wizard run roughshod over her? If she had the talents to go Below and steal something from Soledad, then she’d have what it takes to rescue her father. Who’s to say Temesis won’t make other demands once she steals for him? At that point he’ll know he can push her around and he can keep doing it. Don’t fall to blackmail Munira!

9. francesdinagen says:

Perhaps Munira would go below and negotiate or make a deal with Soledad for the Light of Ta’lab to benefit everyone. Maybe everyone is not the evil doer as it seems. How did Temesis capture Azhar? Who is Soledad? So may questions and possibilities.

Fan-driven, multi-authored, chain story, what a cool concept . This could go anywhere, I’m looking forward to its evolvement.

10. Only a short time left to vote for the direction you want the story to take, folks. Let your voice be heard!

And if you have a case to make for one choice or the other, be sure to make it! Try to sway your fellow readers.

11. Caymon says:

Whatever she does, Mr. Connolly, I would like to humbly suggest that there be some kick-assery involved. Sound good? Who’s with me?

12. Pete says:

I’m going with rescue pops and am agreeing with Caymon that some kick-assery may need to come into play.

13. Dee says:

Great first chapter but would a character who left a gambling thief of a father at 15 really feel that motivated to risk her life for him? She’s a strong person but she looks smart enough to choose her “family” wisely. Blood isn’t everything.

14. The choices have been chosen! And let me tell you, I would have bet good money–not just the metal kind!–that the voting would go the other way.

Thank you, Lara, for giving me such an excellent opening, and so many fun story elements to play with. Everyone reading this has read one of her books, right? If not, you’re missing out.

Finally, after all this is over, I hope Suvudu will share with us some of the “Other” votes that were turned in. I have to admit that I’m pretty curious.

Now I’m off to write.

15. Paige Witschger says:

ooohhhh i loved it cant wait for the book to come out

16. Susan Nelson says:

Too short of a chapter she needs to see a tall dark stranger right away!

17. Dana Alma says:

This rocks. Give me more!!!